Abbe Oye!!

:-) Baito yaar....kuch chaai waai peeyo....baathe karo...

Name:
Location: North Carolina, United States

Well...it depends on what you want to know!

Monday, February 20, 2006

An OLD haircut story that's still NEW in my mind! :-)

An old ishtory is about my very first haircut in the US of A

Go to this hairdresser place and there’s this (bless her heart!) humungous white woman who I get assigned to…


she starts off…some small talk….the weather, the city, yada yada… then I tell her about myself and that this was my first haircut in the US….pat came an answer…"Dont worry honey, it’s my first time too!". My heart sank when I heard that it was NOT her first hair cut in this salon OR her FIRST hair cut in a while OR her FIRST hair cut in this town……it was THE FIRST haircut EVER that she was err…cutting!!

It comes to pass that this lady is actually an accountant by trade at a local company down the street…who had just taken up a few barber classes to earn some extra cash over the weekends!

In colloquial kannada terms, it was her first “boNi” (kannada for first sale of the day by a street vendor etc,.) and I was her first “bakra” (self-explanatory!).

After much head-positioning, snip-snipping and treating my hair like fine art, the outcome was a raggedy-ass looking sparrow’s nest on top of my head!

Given that I wear very “powerful” spectacles (am practically blind without them) the “effect” immediately after wearing them back on was one of gasping after getting kicked in the nuts (Pardon my expression!)

The gentleman that I am, paid her 12 $ + a 2 $ tip for the Picasso-esque work of art, thanked her profusely, ran out crying like a girl…..and never went back!

Now I go to an all men’s proper barber shop…with all the usual “men’s” jokes….they all have their barber school certificates up on the wall….and their decades of experience….

Life as I know it is back to normal!

2 Comments:

Blogger Venky said...

well that puts a lot of things (or lack of) into perspective ;)
Look at the bright side - she at least spoke English ... unlike most of them in other salons across the US! :p

-venky.

2/20/2006 05:10:00 PM  
Blogger SVR said...

I could almost hear you speak the works and how you would say them! Very well written :) and very funny!
Keep writing!

2/21/2006 02:28:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home